DELHI UNIVERSITY GUIDELINES FOR PROHIBITION OF AND PUNISHMENT FOR RAGGING
- Ragging in any form is strictly prohibited, within the premises of the College/Department or.
- Institution and any part of Delhi University system as well as on public transport.
- Any individual or collective act or practice or ragging constitutes gross indiscipline and shall be dealt with under this ordinance. Ragging for the purposes of this ordinance, ordinarily means any act conduct or practice by which dominant power or status of senior students is brought to bear on students freshly enrolled or students who are in any way considered junior or inferior by other students and includes individual or collective acts or practices which:
(a) involve physical assault or threat or use of physical force.
(b) violate the status, dignity and honour of woman students.
(c) violate the status, dignity and honour of students belonging to the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes.
(d) expose students to ridicule on contempt which effect their self‑esteem.
(e) entail verbal abuse and aggression, indecent gestures and obscene behavior.
4. The principal of a College, the Head of the Department or an Institution, the Authorities of college, or University Hostel or Halls or residence shall take immediate action on any information of the occurrence of ragging.
5. Notwithstanding anything in Clause (4) above, the Proctor may also suo moto enquire into any incident of ragging and make a report to the Vice‑chancellor of the identity of those who have engaged in ragging and the nature of the incident.
6. The Proctor may also submit an initial report establishing the identity of the perpetrators of ragging and the nature of ragging incident.
7. If the principal of the College of Head of the department of Institution of the Proctor is satisfied that for some reason, to be recorded in writing, it is not reasonable/practical to hold such an enquiry, he/she may so advise the Vice‑Chancellor accordingly.
8. When the Vice‑Chancellor is satisfied that it is not expedient to hold such an enquiry, his/ her decision shall be final.
9. On receipt of a report under Clause (5) of (6) or a determination by the relevant authority under Clause (7) disclosing occurrence of ragging incident described in Clause 3 (a), (b), and (c). that the Vice‑Chancellor shall direct or order restriction of a student or students for a specific number of years.
10. The Vice‑Chancellor may in other cases of ragging order, or direct that any student or students be expelled or not to be stated, period admitted to a course of study and results of the student or students concerned in the examination or examinations in which they appeared be cancelled.
11. In case where students who have obtained degrees or diplomas of Delhi University are found guilty under this Ordinance, appropriate action will be taken under status 15 or withdrawal of degrees or diploma conferred by the University.
12. For the purpose of this Ordinance, abetment of ragging will also amount to ragging.
(A). All Institutions, within the Delhi University system be obligated to carry out instructions/ directions issued under this Ordinance, and to give aid and assistance to the Vice‑Chancellor or achieve the effective implementation of the Ordinance.
(A). Measures taken by the college to curb the menace of ragging on the premises of LHMC and Assoc. Hospitals
- Anti ragging squad and Disciplinary Resource Committee have been constituted to keep a watchful eye, and to deal with any incident of ragging reported or noticed. (No. B/Admission/09 dated 20-7-2009)
- Notices were issued to all the students/ cabinet committee members to refrain from ragging. (No. B/Ragging/2009 dated 5-5-09)
- Affidavits were taken from the students along with their parents to the effect that they will not indulge in ragging in any manner otherwise they will be dealt with as per Hon’ble Supreme court/UGC/MCI guidelines in this regard.
- Students of the 2nd year were assigned as buddies for the fresh entrants for helping/guiding them in case of any problem.
- Faculty members of Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry were assigned 15 students each for helping them in case of any problem. (No. B/Ragging/2009 dated 20th July 2009)